Painting Aggressors (Slowly)

IMG_5856

But mostly just ’cause I’m not in such a hurry – I’ve got a game this Thursday at Ichinomiya, which I won’t be able to finish these guys for, then end-of-year business means the next game day I get to won’t be ’til January, so I can take it a bit easy.

And man, even with my patented super-lazy painting method, these guys are fiddly. In an awesome way, mind – I’m really in love with the models – but they have many many many edges to highlight. Fortunately, tonight I finished up the yellow, and with that and the black done, the “heavy lifting” is finished. Just metallics and red detailing, plus the ever-annoying unit markings, and they’ll be done.

Then my plate’ll be empty-ish again. The easy-build Redemptor Dread is up for pre-order on the 16th, and I’ll get one of those plus the Shadespire core set for myself for Christmas, so early next year I’ll have a bit to do – and I still have half my hybrids and some 6mm odds and ends on the table. Plus the Apothecary I kitbashed, but I’ll wait on him ’til I can prime him together with something else.

Advertisements

30-Day Challenge Day 29: Increment

Just a dash of painting again tonight – brightened up the red and put a black wash on the ribbed armor and gloves of these fellas.

fullsizeoutput_3afb

Tomorrow after work I’m heading up to a hobby shop in Ichinomiya to meet some new gaming dudes and play a small game of 40K or two, so hopefully I’ll get some good pictures of that!

30-Day Challenge Day 28: Life, Things and Stuff

Things have been a bit stressful around here, and I’m responding, as I tend to, by not doing much of anything at all, heh. We’ll see how my thesis advisor reacts tomorrow! But tonight I got the first little pass done on the next 4 hybrids – now that I know my process I can speed up a bit. That’s a few drybrush passes from dark brown to buff (more than I need, almost certainly – I used a total of 5 shades of brown, which is probably overkill but what the hey), then the first coat on the red, using Citadel’s red base color (Khorne Red) with a touch of Smoke for flow.

IMG_5611

Next step will be to bring the red up with a mix of khorne red and VMC flat red, then a wash of smoke for shading. Then a thin pass of black ink on the ribbed padded bits and gloves, and we’ll see about the yellow shoulder pads and strips of cloth and such. Actually I could probably finish these guys off in an evening, but there’s no hurry and it’s nice to take it slow after the painting frenzy that was the beginning of the month.

30-Day Challenge Day 27: Mostly Spent Playing Endless Space 2

…And I finally seemed to get a handle on the Riftborn, getting into that “one more turn” nonsense 4X games are so good at.

So all I did yesterday was finish up those two hybrids – they could probably use a wash on the metallics too, looking at them. Still!

fullsizeoutput_315a

30-Day Challenge Day 26: And Now, for Something et cetera et cetera

Today I got started on a couple test models for my genestealer hybrids, mostly for use with Advanced Space Crusade, although they may see some play with Shadow Wars if that picks up again in the local group.

fullsizeoutput_3af6

My Tyranids are red with yellow armor plates, and I painted up their clothes to tie in with that – which makes for a bit of a misstep with the flesh tones, as I wanted the hybrids to have some of that too. The 3rd generation (on the left) blends in with his clothing a bit more than I’d like (in addition to looking sort of like a burn victim), although going a bit more purple than my ‘Nids actually are helped a bit.

Overall, I think the scheme will work. Boots and such will get a deeper brown, metallics will be metal, but this is basically how they’ll end up.

30-Day Challenge Day 23: Finishing Up

Juuust about finished with my ancient:

fullsizeoutput_3aed

All there’s left to do is metallics and a couple more hits of decal medium on the right shoulder, and he’ll be good to go! As I hoped / expected, depending on how sure of myself I was at the time, the bigness of the banner itself makes what would otherwise be just ridiculously huge headgear seem not so bad.

30-Day Challenge Day 22: Just a Tad

Another slow day, but I’m getting paint on the model and that’s all I have to do. 🙂

That’s the third coat of yellow and cleanup on the marine, and the lettering work on the banner. The gundam marker wasn’t the magic I was sort of hoping it would be, and it needed a bit of cleanup, but it’s still orders of magnitude better than what I can do with a brush, so that’s OK.

I also spent a bit of time today thinking about a second army (since all I really need for my Marines are some Aggressors), and realized that I can make a legal 50-power Tyranid army with like 6 models. Expensive in terms of yen, but I might just go for it. That’d be after the aggressors and some more terrain, though – probably winter bonus spending at the earliest.